NDRPA recognizes parks and recreation professionals, organizations and projects through its annual award program.
- Distinguished Professional Award honors professional members of NDRPA and NRPA with more than 10 years of experience.
- Outstanding Young Professional Award honors professional members of NDRPA and NRPA who have experience of less than 10 years and are age 35 or younger.
- Citizen Advocacy Award honors individuals for outstanding contributions to the park, recreation and conservation movement.
- Golden Egg Award recognizes outstanding and innovative park projects.
- Partnership Award honors organizations for outstanding contributions to the park, recreation and conservation movement.
- Innovative Programming Award recognizes and honors an NDRPA member agency or organization that demonstrates leadership with advanced groundbreaking ideas in programming.
- Impact Award recognizes an NDRPA member agency or organization that demonstrates creativity and innovation in the promotion of diversity, equity, and/or inclusion.
Awards for 2023 will be presented Sept. 13 at the NDRPA State Conference in Grand Forks. Nominations for 2024 will open in the spring.
NDRPA Award Recipients
Distinguished Professional Award
2021 – Tyler Jacobson, Valley City Parks and Recreation
2021 – Mike Wald, Bismarck Parks and Recreation District
Outstanding Young Professional
2022 – Randi Litchy, Fargo Park District
Citizen Advocacy Award
2022 – Joe Deutsch, NDSU Fargo
Golden Egg Award
2022 – Maplewood Park Renovation, West Fargo Parks and Recreation District
2022 – Broadway Square, Fargo Parks and Recreation District
2022 – Wings on Strings Kite Club, Jamestown
2022 – Indoor Mini Golf, Watford City Park District
2022 – Maplewood Park Inclusive Playground
Arts & Humanities Award
2011 – Artist in Residency Program, ND Council on the Arts and ND Parks and Recreation Department
2013 – Red Door Art Gallery, Wahpeton
Land & Water Conservation Fund
2004 – Bismarck Parks and Recreation (Award for Excellence in Stewardship)
2004 – Walsh County Park Board (Award for Excellence in Project Administration)
2005 – Mandan Park District (Award for Excellence in Stewardship)
2005 – Wahpeton Park Board (Award for Excellence in Project Administration)
NRPA Award Recipients
Gold Medal Award
2017 – Bismarck Parks & Recreation District
1993 – Bismarck Parks & Recreation District
American Park and Recreation Society Meritorious Service Award
1994 – Bob “Goose” Johnson, Fargo Park District
1999 – Steve Neu, Bismarck Park District
Citizen Board Member Branch Outstanding Board or Commission
2001 – Bismarck Parks and Recreation District
Midwest Award Recipients
Arts & Humanities
1997 – Trollwood Park Performing Arts School, Fargo Park District
2008 – Frances Leach High Prairie Arts & Science Complex, Bismarck Parks & Recreation District
Individual Citizen Citation
1981 – Nancy Koch, Grand Forks Park District
1992 – Meredith Mitskog, Wahpeton Park Board
2006 – Dr. Alan King, Dickinson
2008 – Tim Mueller, Bismarck
1991 – Bismarck Recreation Council
2006 – Destiny Dickinson
2007 – Bismarck Parks and Recreation District/Magical Moments Playground Committee
2010 – Williston Community Builders
1975 – Dr. LaVernia Jorgensen, UND
1988 – Tim Mueller, North Dakota Parks & Recreation Department
1990 – Steve Neu, Bismarck Parks & Recreation District
1992 – Doug Jaeger, Dickinson Parks & Recreation District
1993 – Bob “Goose” Johnson, Fargo Park District
1997 – Randy Bina, Bismarck Parks & Recreation District
Outstanding New Professional Award
2011 – Joe Deutsch, North Dakota State University
Distinguished Professional Service Award
2014 – Wayne Beyer
Professional Service Award
2014 – Terry Wallace